Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Designing for Myself, Argh!

I bought a house in one weekend! A spec home, of about 1500 sqft. Thankfully the house was not completed so we are able to select all the finishes.

Timeline
:
Agreed to buy the house on
Sunday, was told to complete the finish selections by Monday evening, wrote up the deal on Monday night from 8-10:30pm! Realized that I hadn’t selected a kitchen counter, oops, Tuesday shopped again to make finish selections and add an addendum to the sale. I had 24 hours to select all the finishes in my house, and hopefully find options that were in my price range.

STRESS!

Designing for a client is easy, I get a feel for who they are, what they like, and what their style is. Designing for myself is tricky. First of all I think I am pretty self aware, I know that I like the new flashy unique stuff that often looks uber dated in about 5 minutes. But I am also “practical,” or you could call it, “cheap,” so in the past I have bought neutral pieces and I have avoided the trendy decor. So should I make an exception to my rule and decorate my house in over the top trends because it is what I like right now? I want to be in my new house for the next 7 years. What will I like for 7 years? I guess I need to look at what I have always liked, which would be mid century modern, with BOLD accents, and daring primary colours sprinkled here and there. But unfortunately trends over the past 5 years have brought that look to the main stream making me look ever so 5 minutes ago! One look I really enjoy is the “art gallery”: off white walls with intense oversized art. So that is my inspiration for my new home.

What will you like for the next seven years?


6 comments:

  1. I'm glad there are designers out there. I'd hate to have to do it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it might be easier. I've had 2 years to pick out finishes and I still haven't pinpointed what I want for my place. I might have to pick your brain here soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Starla ParmenterMay 5, 2010 at 1:21 PM

    I think that I would get some classic, neutral pieces and accent away with bold touches. I think when the base of anything is neutral then you can always change it in a few years if your taste change!
    When doing my living room, I painted a taupe clor and bought dark brown leather furniture, then I have changed the cutains, cushions and art a few times over the past few years. I also and cheap and like to look for fun stuff at second hand stores, I have been surprised and how I can find something I like in great shape for cheap and it looks great.
    Can't wait to see some new pics when you get it done! You have great talent. Congrats on the house and the move!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A balls room. I will like a balls room for the next seven years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the idea of using neutral pieces that can be accented with something more trendy. That way you can invest in good quality furniture that is somewhat boring, but still have fun using cheaper accessories to suite the current trends. However, my dream house would be filled with classic mid century modern pieces, concrete and solid wood blocks. Very sharp, minimalist, clean and uncomfortable for most people.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As you know there are neutrals in every decor. If mid century modern is what you like than go with it. Punch it up with accents. As for the white walls... I say of it is what you like than DOOOO IT! After all you are living there and you should love where you live.

    If you get bored, than white is easy to paint over. Come to think of it, I have yet to meet a person, designer or not, who isn't painting their walls in 3-4 years anyways. We all get bored of what we have. Just tell Randal (still can't get used to that) to realize he will have to rent you a storage locker in the future for all your great finds. What is old will become new again and reusing and recycling is always in fashion.

    ReplyDelete