Saturday, March 13, 2010

RUSH JOB

It started with a frantic phone call.

Client: “Our builder called and wants to know what colour eavestroughs
, TODAY! What colour do we want?”
Me: “I am not sure as we haven’t selected the exterior colours yet. Can your contractor wait a day for the answer?”
Client: “It didn’t sound like it. I don’t think so.”
Me: “
Umm ah... Let me see if we can set an appointment this afternoon for the exterior colour story.”

I lacked direction, all I knew was that the house had cedar beams and shingles and varied brown asphalt roof shingles and white windows. Two hours later I was frantically searching the paint store for the corresponding paint chips which I had 20 minutes previous selected from my paint fan in my office. Generally I only give two or three options to my clients, otherwise making a decision can be overwhelming for them. But I made an exception this time because we hadn’t discussed what type of exterior look they wanted. In an hour and half, I had thrown together FIVE possible colour stories. I was going in blind, hence the five options:
  1. Dark Blue and Warm off-white
  2. Kahki and Cream
  3. Medium Brown and Cream
  4. Medium Grey and Black
  5. Neutral Green and Cream
My personal favourite is the blue and off-white.

Main House: Dark Shadows CL 227N*

Trim: So Stunning CL 1216W*
Cedar: Natural Stain

Eavestrough: Off White

It is bold, contemporary and will make that cedar pop! But I fear it is too bold for my clients, the safety of the
kahki is inviting to them.

What would you pick?



* All colour selections from General Paint

No comments:

Post a Comment